Thursday, June 3, 2010

Lakers' Complete Game Cans Celts

Watching Game 1 of the 2010 Finals was like watching the Celts pound on the Magic for 4 out of 6 games a round prior. The Lakers’ defense was stifling, offense aggressive and productive and composure in tact. These two teams are talented enough to keep things competitive through 7 games, but the way the Lakers dominated at home tonight, home court advantage may be influential. That and the fact that Kobe & Co. were faster, quicker and seemingly hungrier.

What I’ve learned from watching the NBA the past few years is that not much matters until the 4th quarter. It’s what I call the perfect party sport. I’m more than happy to invite friends over or attend functions to "watch" a basketball game, because I can not only listen to people, but also reply coherently. If it’s a blowout, I’m not missing anything; if it’s close, everyone starts to pay attention. Football is a much more solitary sport . . . at least in my case – I'm really just looking out for the safety of others.

Back to tonight’s Lakers-Celtics contest, which was an exception to the party rule. That is, I was excited enough about the start of the Finals to watch from minute one. . .and was bored by the end of the 3rd quarter. If I had plunked out almost twice an entire month’s salary to attend the game (oh, yea, I considered it enough to do my research), I’d have serious buyer’s remorse (then again, if I’m buying Lakers tickets, chances are my salary analogy wouldn’t be accurate).

Fact is the Celtics were owned tonight. How significant is this Game 1 loss? A series is hardly over after one contest, but history is not encouraging for the Celts' chances. Since the NBA’s first season in 1946-47, the team that won game 1 of a best-of-seven series won 319 of 407 series (that’s a whopping .784 winning percentage, kids). Oh, and my friends and yours at ESPN also note that Phil Jackson's teams dominate after posting a W in game 1 of a playoff series – they’ve won 47 straight series.

As fun as it was seeing Kobe fly around and feeling the energy halfway across the country at the Staples Center Wednesday evening, it would be all the more fun to see a competitive, well-played series. If the Lakers stay true to historical form, here’s hoping they do so in 7 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment