Sunday, March 7, 2010

Jinx. . .Now Can MU Buy a Tourney Spot?

While reading through my last blog* prior to posting, I thought to myself, “Self, are you jinxing Marquette here? I mean, they still have one game left.” My confidence was so high in the Golden Eagles closing out the season with a win on Senior Day, I quickly dismissed my thought.

Three days later, as I sat transfixed by another dagger-to-the-heart shot at the end of regulation and watched MU sputter in OT, I couldn’t help but feel at least partially responsible. Turns out, I should have listened to myself when debating my last blog post; I’m actually quite smart.

Guess the buzz from the Louisville lashing hadn’t yet worn off. I mean, how could I have posted such a thing, when I witnessed every crest, dip and curve in MU’s roller coaster ride of a season? I had to know that shot would happen; in fact, with 16 seconds remaining following Lazar Hayward’s selfish 3-point attempt, I did. Of course Marquette would miss two opportunities at a rebound after a wild 3-point attempt by Notre Dame; and of course the last desperation shot before the buzzer would fall for the loathed Irish.

With the season in the history books, the question again presents itself: Is Marquette worthy of an at-large berth? Head-to-head play aside, Marquette deserves to dance more than Notre Dame.
In the wild Big East, isn’t an 11-win season (good for fifth in the conference) enough for an at-large berth? Looking at quality wins, Notre Dame just edges MU and finished the year on a four-game winning streak, include big victories over No. 16 Pitt and No. 13 Georgetown. The Irish finished sixth.

Marquette, however, beat Georgetown, as well, in addition to UConn and Louisville (which just knocked off No. 1 Syracuse). MU also came much closer to beating Villanova twice (72-74, 76-78) than ND did once (72-90). Almost, however, still doesn’t count.

Marquette versus Notre Dame is quite the conundrum for the selection committee. It seems to me, though, that Marquette put a better overall season together, overcoming a tough, tough start (1-3 against four ranked Big East teams) to finish tied for fifth overall in the conference (tied with Louisville, which they beat). Fifth overall in the toughest conference in the country.

If my last post taught me anything, I’m declaring Notre Dame a lock for an NCAA tourney berth. With only the Big East tournament left, no way they don’t make it. None.


* See: “Care to Dance?” Posted March 3, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment