Monday, February 1, 2010

A Dirty Win is Still a Win. . .I Guess

After a week like last week, you'd think I'd keep my distance from anything pigskin-related. You'd think I would stay away from "Super Bowl Central" on ESPN. No, not me. I love yanking on that hang nail, picking at that scab, playing chicken with my sanity.

So this morning I found myself clicking here, clicking there, used to that miserable feeling enough by now to tolerate it, when. . .*snap* OK, that’s it, last straw.

Can someone please tell me when we time traveled back to the eras of Ray Nitschke or Mean Joe Greene and Jack Tatum, when all a defense wanted to do was knock an opponent unconscious? Heck with stopping a guy from gaining yards, let’s keep him from being able to feed himself ever again. That leads me to the question: What’s up with Greg Williams? Seriously. What’s this dude’s deal? His defense’s hit on Kurt Warner in the Divisional playoff was borderline legal – but it was legal nevertheless.

The hit on Favre? The NFL has gone on record saying it was illegal (hey Pete Morelli, get your eyes checked this offseason). Not only that, it was dirty. By nastily going after two graying, top-notch QBs with the intent of knocking them out of the game, aren’t you pretty much admitting that you can’t beat your opponent based on talent alone, Saints? “Alright fellas, we ain’t better than these guys, so we’ll try to break some legs and put a beat on the second stringers.”

I understand that football is . . . well, football (insert manly growl here). But, c’mon, folks. “We’re going to have to make sure [Manning] gets a couple ‘remember me’ shots when we get there,” Williams professed during a recent radio interview. Really? Because simply pressuring the quarterback, getting in his head and knocking him around a bit isn’t enough? Just playing all 60 minutes and shutting Peyton down is too hard, so hit him and “hope he doesn’t get back up and play again.” Classy, Greg, classy.

Let’s have some perspective here. Especially now when the league is trying to understand, prevent and treat concussions better to help a player enjoy the best life after football possible, we can’t have this filth on the field.

It’s not only cheap and dirty, but it’s cowardly, too. If you can’t bring it for 60 minutes and beat a team because you outplay it, you don’t deserve to win. Just line up and play, boys; no cheap shots, no b.s. That’s football.

Although. . .based on the way the Saints played last Sunday night – have 5 turnovers fall in your lap, face a 40-year old QB with one good leg and just barely luck out a win – I suppose I understand your thought, Mr. Williams. A win is a win. . .however you weasel into it, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment